Fans of the German marque, Porsche will be pleased to learn that one of motorsport’s best-known and best-loved ambassadors, Derek Bell has decided to share insights into all his races in this now legendary named brand.
Bell worked alongside Porsche as an enormously successful racing driver and this 276 page book, which includes in excess of 200 images gives a compelling insight into his famous victories in such places as Le Mans and Daytona, all recounted in his own words.
This is a rare narrative account of a sportscar racer performing at the highest level, describing in depth and detail races in which he raced Porsches, from the fearsome 917 to the iconic 956, 962, and 911.
Light is cast on Bell’s most prestigious victories with Porsche – four of his five in the Le Mans 24 Hours, three in the Daytona 24 Hours, two in the World Sportscar Championship – and many more besides.
Collaborating with renowned motorsport author Richard Heseltine, Bell also shares his thoughts on the now-legendary drivers he raced with, including six-time Le Mans winner Jacky Ickx, the famously flamboyant Hans Stuck, and two immense talents who lost their lives to the sport, Jo Siffert and Stefan Bellof. The overall effect is a fascinating trip back in time to a golden era for Porsche and sportscar racing as a whole.
- The full story of Derek Bell’s career with Porsche, encompassing the fearsome 917, the iconic 956 and 962, and the evergreen 911
- Three decades of racing history covered in detail, from the 1971 Buenos Aires 1000Km to the 2000 Daytona 24 Hours
- Thorough research into almost 200 races around the world, including rounds of the World Sportscar Championship, IMSA GT Series, and All-Japan Sports-Prototype Championship
- A compelling insight into Bell’s famous victories at races such as Le Mans and Daytona, recounted in his own words
- Full accounts of racing with other heroes such as Stefan Bellof, Jacky Ickx, Hans Stuck, and Jo Siffert
- Illustrated with more than 200 images, many from the Porsche archive and Bell’s own collection
By Derek Bell and Richard Heseltine
Published by Porter Press International
Publication date: 15th May, 2018
Jacketed Hardback ● RRP: £45.00 ● ISBN: 978-1-907085-65-9
276 pages ● Format 240mm x 280mm landscape● 200+ photos, inc. colour