A 1969 Series 2 Lotus Europa with only one previous custodian in the last 49 years has come on the market and could be yours for around £25K.
Launched in 1966 and given prototype status by the head of Lotus Engineering, Ron Hickman, the Series 1 / Type 46 were built between 1966 – 1968 to satisfy a European appetite hungry for simple sporty cars.
The Europa incorporated an aerodynamic fibreglass overcoat working in close synergy with steel backbone chassis.
Inspiration was driven from the Ferrari SWB 250GT ‘breadvan’, with an impressive drag factor of just 0.29 recorded during wind tunnel development.
Independent suspension around four corners, using a set-up similar to the early ‘Formula’ racing car designs of the era indicated that the Europa’s handling was so good it prompted road testers to describe the ’nimble racer’ as the being the closest thing to a race car for the road.
The S2 (Type 54) was unveiled in April 68′ and used the same 1470cc Renault engine as its elder brother, with some additional luxuries including electric windows, carpet interior and adjustable seating.
This particualr S2 is dressed in its original Bahama Yellow (paint code L10), with matching numbers and has been owned by the same Doctor for the 49 years.
Purchased as an 8 month old youngster and reflecting a frugal 4000 miles on the odometer, the car has since undergone a complete ‘ground-up’ restoration with the following said to be undertaken by specialists:
The complete body-off restoration with works including:
- Complete strip down, body removed from the chassis (chassis deemed unsalvageable and a new one sourced, powder-coated and injected with waxoil
- The bodywork was repaired as necessary and the car finished as per her original factory colour – L10 Bahama Yellow.
- All mechanical components stripped, checked for wear and either restored or replaced. The engine was fully stripped, new pistons, liners, bearings etc.
- Gearbox fully inspected and overhauled as necessary, Solex carb fully rebuilt. The drive-train alone looks stunning, detailed correctly in every respect.
- Rocker Cover stripped and powder-coated.
- Radiator re-core and powder-coated. New fan units units, alloy expansion tank and silicone hoses throughout.
- Suspension fully stripped with all new bushes front / rear replaced, all new joints / bearings etc. All larger components painted / powder-coated and front / rear suspension changed to adjustable coil-over platforms.
- Rebuilt braking system including new disc / pads, calipers, brake master cylinder, servo etc.
- New OEM clutch.
- New twin aluminium fuel tanks with electronic fuel pump.
- Wiring system fully inspected and replaced as necessary.
- New exhaust system.
- All fuel lines, brake lines, hoses replaced.
- All new nuts, bolts, fittings throughout.
- All new window / door seals.
Original 13″ steel wheels stripped and refurbished and fitted with new Dunlop tyres, correct beauty rings and “Lotus” embossed hubcaps.
- 4-wheel geometry alignment.
Interior completely stripped and new carpet set fitted. The original seats remain in fantastic condition as do the door cards, dash etc and the car still has its original 3 spoked steering wheel.
All chrome work either re-chromed or replaced.
The asking price for the car is £25,750 and can be seen in full glory via this link.
Images courtesy Absolute Classics.